Comprehension Questions to Ask at Home
Questions to ask before you read
• Can you look at the pictures and predict what will happen in this book?
• What makes you think that?
• What characters do you think might be in the story?
• Do you think there will be a problem in this story? Why or why not?
• Does the topic/story relate to you or your family? How?
• What does the cover tell you about the book?
• What are you curious to find out about this book?
• What do you want to learn?
Questions to ask while you read
• What do you think will happen next?
• What is the problem in the book?
• Why do you think the character did that?
• When you were reading this part, what were you picturing in your head?
• What can you tell me about the story so far?
• Can you predict how the story will end?
• Why do you think the character did?
• What would you have done if you were the character?
• How would you have felt if you were the character?
• As you read, what are you wondering about?
• Can you put what you’ve read into your own words?
Questions to ask after you’ve read
• Can you remember the title?
• In your opinion, was it a good title for the book? Why or why not?
• Were your predictions about the story correct?
• Why do you think the author wrote this book?
• What is the most important point the author is trying to make in his writing?
• What was the moral (or lesson) in the story?
• What was your favorite part in the story?
• If you could change one thing in the story, what would it be?
• Can you retell the story in order?
• If you were , how would you have felt?
• Is there a character in the story you are like? How are you alike?
• Did you like the book? Why or why not?