Director – Janna Glosup
Welcome to CCA band! This promises to be an exciting year of new accomplishments and discoveries in the realm of music.
- Band is available to students in grades 5th through 8th.
- The Band Fee will be $100.00 and can be paid through Rev Track
- We will start with 2 ensembles
- Beginner Band
- Students who have never played a band instrument before this year.
- Eagle Band
- Students with previous experience on their instrument
- This band will play music beyond the level of Essential Elements book one. This music will be provided by Mrs. Glosup.
- Band will meet in the music room at CCA from 7AM to 7:45AM.
- Beginner band will meet on Mondays and Wednesdays
- The first few weeks brass/percussion will meet only on Mondays
- The first few weeks woodwinds will meet only on Wednesdays
- Eagle band will meet Tuesdays and Thursdays
- Band Supplies:
- I recommend renting from a local music store
- If you choose to purchase, here are recommended brands
- Flute: Yamaha, Jupiter, Gemeinhardt, Selmer, Armstrong, Emerson, Artley
- Clarinet/Alto Saxophone: Yamaha, Jupiter, Vito, Selmer, Buffet, Leblanc
- Trumpet/Trombone/Baritone/Euphonium: Yamaha, Jupiter, Bach, King, Getzen, Conn, Holton
- Essential Elements - Book 1 for your specific instrument
**Beginning Band Only**
- Reed players should always have at least three good working reeds.
- Brass players should have their own slide grease and valve oil.
- Band Rehearsals
- Have pencil and music prepared on your stand as well as your instrument assembled and ready to play when band begins.
- Committing to band means committing to independently practicing your instrument.
- 120 minutes of independent practice are expected each week
- That can be easily accomplished with only 20 minutes every school day plus one practice session a weekend.
- This is the same as a single 20 minute TV show every day.
- Students in band must attend all rehearsals and performances.
- Planned absences must be sent to Mrs. Glosup at least 1 week in advance.
- Students who become sick or have an unplanned absence must contact Mrs. Glosup as soon as possible.
- Unexcused absences will be documented and parents will be notified upon each occurrence.
- If unexcused absence becomes a pattern, further actions may be taken.
- Care of Instrument:
- Students and their parents are responsible to cover the cost of any instrument they damage – intentionally or accidentally.
- Take care of your instrument like it is the last one in the world!
- Food and Instruments do NOT mix.
- Only you should play your instrument (including percussion).
- If it is damaged, take it to me, or a repair technician right away; do not forcibly fix it yourself!
- Private Lessons:
- I strongly encourage private lessons.
- Progress of 1 teacher for 15 students vs. 1 teacher for 1 student.
- Email Mrs. Glosup for more information.
- String Instrument Policy
- Students who play traditional orchestral instruments are also welcome to join the band if they meet these requirements! Keep in mind that traditional BAND style music will be practiced and performed.
- String players must have a private instrument teacher.
- Mrs. Glosup does not currently have the ability to give the high level of instruction to string players that they deserve.
- String players must read either treble or bass clef.
- We will be using traditional band music which does not include an alto clef option.
I am looking forward to a great year of creating excellent music!